Medical Review Officer (MRO)
Ben Watson, MD is certified by the American Association of Medical Review Officers (AAMRO)
As your Medical Review Officer (MRO), Dr. Watson receives and reviews results of drug testing. This assures accuracy and appropriate reporting. There’s a lot more to drug test results than “positive” or “negative”. MRO is a Medical Doctor M.D. (or Doctor of Osteopathy, D.O.) trained and certified in interpretation of test results in accordance with Federal Regulations.
Drug Test Medical Review is a necessary component of any effective and defensible testing program.
- Federal DOT mandated testing requires an MRO by law 49 CFR Part 40.
- Variations in the processes of testing are defined by each DOT Administration – FMCSA, FAA, FTA, FRA, PHMSA, Coast Guard.
- There are medically legitimate uses of some drugs – MRO checks out employee claims of medically legitimate explanation.
- Employees’ privacy must be reasonably respected. MRO asks the medical questions, as employers may not.
- MRO must be certified, and recertified every five years
MRO in non-DOT testing
Drug-free workplace testing
For testing based on company policy, MRO services are customized to your organization’s requirements.
A written personnel policy is indispensable in private business and industry. Regular review and updating of such policies is best practice.